Weather Station more stable…

The weather station software stopped working a couple of times in the past 24 hours, so I tried another Serial to USB converter I had available. I’m pretty sure the converter that shipped with the La Crosse WS-2316 was the culprit because I could get things working by stopping the software, removing the USB device, reinsert it, and reenabling the software. The symptoms seem likely to be a driver issue with the original adapter. I guess I’ll know if that is true after this new adapter runs for a while.

I wonder if the protocol for the WS-2316 is published anywhere… It would be interesting to see what it provides and perhaps create some different software to process the data. After a bit of searching, it appears there is a little information on the protocol here and here. Maybe if I can find some free time, I’ll try to put together an application to get the data from the unit. I’m using the WUHU software right now, and it works ok, but I’d like to optimize the data I collect for what I am interested in.

Be Sociable, Share!

  1. #1 by Jon on January 14, 2008 - 11:26 am

    Well, it has been running for almost a week now with no problems, so I think it is safe to say that the USB->serial adapter that shipped with the WS-2316 was the culprit.

  2. #2 by Dave Long on February 29, 2008 - 10:29 am

    Interesting comments. The problem I have is that my WS-2316 base station only has a telephone (RJ11) connector. (labelled “PC COM PORT”) Not USB or RS232. How did you connect the USB/ Serial adapter to the base unit ?

  3. #3 by Jon on February 29, 2008 - 10:37 am

    My package came with a cable that has RJ11 on one end an RS232 connector on the other. The USB/Serial adapter plugs into the RS232 end.

  4. #4 by Mark Griffin on June 30, 2008 - 6:42 am

    When your 2316 system stopped gathering data, did the receiver LCD panel still have readings or was it just displaying dashes for temperature and wind speed? My son’s station drops the signal from the sending unit from time to time and I don’t see why. Batteries replaced and the units resynchronized but no apparent reason why it starts back up again. Any thoughts on that side of the software?

(will not be published)